Some family trees have beautiful leaves, and some have just a bunch of nuts. Remember, it is the nuts that make the tree worth shaking

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Achieving My Exercise Goals

This weekend has been pretty exciting for me achieving some goals I'd set for myself in the running department.  Due to my continued and increasing pain in my elbow, I made the executive decision to stop lifting for the week to give my elbow a break.  Thus, the determination to run 2 miles set in.  My original goal was to run 2 miles by the end of the February.  That didn't happen but we must focus on our successes and not our failures.  Thus, this Friday past, I did 6.5 miles on the treadmill in two separate blocks.  Mostly I would run a quarter mile and walk a quarter mile.  Between the two blocks I did a little circuit I saw on kellyrennie.com.  Kelly Rennie is a figure model from the UK and what I like most about this circuit is it is something you can do anywhere, with little space and no equipment.  You do each exercise for 45 seconds with 15 seconds of rest in between.
1.  Squats
2.  Push-ups
3.  Lunges
4.  High Knees
5.  Plank
6.  Burpees

Now, mind you, you are supposed to do 4 complete sets of the circuit.  I made it through one and then went and jumped back on the treadmill.  I'll work my way up.

Today was my big breakthrough day.  I finished 5 miles on the treadmill in under an hour.  Of that 5, I ran three without stopping and another one on intervals.  I hit the two mile mark and said to myself, "Don't stop just because your goal is two miles, keep going if you can!"  I did it!  Woo-Hoo!  I made it past the one mile and now I'm just truckin' along.  You were right Tom!  Thank you for all the encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment