Some family trees have beautiful leaves, and some have just a bunch of nuts. Remember, it is the nuts that make the tree worth shaking

Friday, March 11, 2011

Putting Life Into Perspective

With the terrible events of today in Japan, and the other natural disasters recently that seem to occur with more frequency, I think many people are taking the time to stop and reflect on their own lives.  While other peoples tragedies don't nullify our own trials and tribulations, it does give us an opportunity to be grateful for the things that we do have.  I won't lie, I've struggled this last year.  Raising a family of 7 on an income of less than $30,000 is HARD.  I've struggled personally with my own sense of failure as a mother, provider and friend.  I get so consumed with the daily grind that I lose sight of the things I'm thankful for.  So today I say thank you for healthy children, safe family members, a gloriously loving and supporting 'husband', a home not washed away, a refrigerator full of food and people who love me.  Those are actually the biggies.  There are so many smaller things that I am blessed with.  I will make a better effort not to lose sight of these things and not sweat the small stuff.  Please take a moment to take stock of your own life and be grateful for what you have and send your love and support to the people in Japan, Haiti, New Zealand and all the other people in the world whose world is dominated by disaster not to mention starvation and war.  My heart aches for you today!






2 comments:

  1. Very Loving Shannon and well written. I too am grateful for our families good health and for the opportunities that our lives present us. Thank you to everyone who has a heart filled with love and determination to put aside their selfish needs and thoughts to help people that struggle from disasters that are no fault of there own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, those are Tom's kind words. We share the computer :)

    ReplyDelete